Thursday, September 3, 2009

Polyester Nightgowns

After many months of sitting back and doing nothing with my blog, I have finally sat down to write what will probably be the first in a series of blogs about whatever I am doing at the very moment.

I intended for this blog to become a cooking blog, but without a digital camera I am afraid I can't fulfill that destiny. I suppose I can draw the food I made in Paint and post it on here.(Hmm, maybe this is one of those ideas that isn't better than nothing at all.)

Life has been weird lately. Two of my dearest friends have recently (or will be very soon) departed for a semester abroad. Kaitlin is going to be in Lisbon, Portugal this semester and Aaron will be in Tours, France. I know they're both coming back in a matter of months, but that didn't stop me from becoming visibly distraught in front of both travelers. I feel like I am the only person who cares about that kind of stuff. Neither of them were crying, so I felt pretty pathetic, but they didn't seem surprised. I hope this isn't foreshadowing my motherly habits. I don't want to be the Mom that is constantly crying. Nah, I'm too stubborn to be a sobbing mother. (At least if I don't get postpartum depression.)

It's only the second week of classes and I am already cutting it close in terms of waking up on time for class. I woke up (thanks to my internal clock) at 9:15 for my 9:30 History of Animated Films class. I am so grateful I live so close to campus or I would have never arrived on time. And I hate being late. I also discovered that I turned in an assignment in my Detective Fiction class in which I spelled farfetched "farfetch'd". Like the Pokemon. I Hope she just thinks I'm stupid and doesn't recognize the nerd element of the situation.

Why are the best nightgowns polyester nighgowns?! How can such a false, man-made material produce such unique and outrageous clothes? Sure the material doesn't breathe and it stains weirdly, but I love polyester. I have greatly downsized my polyester clothing collection to include only two or three dresses and some nightgowns. I found a nightgown last year that is the most ridiculous one yet. It's floor-length (probably not supposed to be, but hey, I'm really short), long-sleeved, bright pink and has a weird old lady 80s pattern on it that includes diagonal stripes and some sort of flower I can't identify. It's the best, I feel so dramatic, like a bad telenovela whenever I wear anything that hits the floor. I find myself snapping back in mock-horror exclaiming "dios mio!" a lot whenever I wear this specific nightgown.

I am attempting to make mexican rice tonight. I used to live with someone who tried to make mexican rice last year, but it always tasted weird and burnt to me. I don't have any chicken stock, so I have to use bouillon, which I'm not happy about, but I think I can make it taste better than hers. I also bought some queso fresco, which I could just eat on its own, so I will probably find myself topping everything with it for the next few days.

I love you, food.

No comments:

Post a Comment