Friday, September 11, 2009

From Me to You

We watched some really great early cartoons from the Fleischer brothers in my animation history class today. For those of you who don't know, the Fleischer brothers created Popeye and Betty Boop as well as some lesser known characters. I really appreciate how crazy their cartoons were. Back in the early days of animation, cartoons were made for adults instead of children.

This is from 1936.



This is from 1932.



They are both fascinating to me because of the fact that they are so...raunchy. The first toon I posted deals with upfront animal cruelty and the second deals with Betty's boss trying to rape her. Boop-oop-a-doop is code for "virginity".

Bimbo is another Fleischer brothers character I really enjoy, especially this cartoon, which I understand is widely regarded as bizarre and wonderful.

1931.



Today was the most interesting day in animation history class so far this semester.

In other news, I am becoming obsessed with Ebay and Etsy again. I bought two dresses and two hats today.


And I really really really really want that sequined blazer. I hope I win it.

No comments:

Post a Comment